Google’s Merchant Center: What Is It?
If you’re used to search campaigns where you are strictly dealing with keyword-level bidding, Shopping Campaigns can be daunting…especially the elusive Merchant Center. What is Google’s Merchant Center exactly?
The Merchant Center is actually where a lot of the magic happens in Shopping Campaigns. This is where your product data feeds live. A product data feed is a list of all the products you sell. And it’s not just any list; this list has to be in a special format required by Google with tons of attributes that describe your products (think spreadsheet!). Some key attributes of your product data feed list are:
- ID – the ID you use to uniquely identify your product
- Title – the name of your product; this will be the text that is shown when your ad is served
- Description – this text describes your product and will be shown when your ad is clicked
- Product category – choose from Google’s predefined categories
- Product type – defined by you
- Link to item’s page on your website
- Availability status (in stock or not)
- Sale price
No need to write text ads like you do for search campaigns – shopping ads are generated automatically using the data in your feed.